Jovonn – Top 10 Studio Equipment
Jovonn is one of the undisputed heavyweights of the Deep House scene. Producing for 25+ years he has amassed a huge discography and an equally huge following worldwide. He has also just released his brilliant studio album ‘Timeless’. You can check out our review HERE and the premier of one of the tracks from the album ‘Get Outa My Bass’ below. We caught up with Jovonn to discuss what equipment he uses in the studio to give his tracks such a classic feel.
There are some excellent tips in here for all the producers out there.
1. The Maschine Studio is a USB unit i use to create drum patterns, percussion and sometimes samples.
2. The Komplete Kontrol S61 mk2 is a USB unit which connects with the Maschine studio. I use it to create the body foundation of basslines, chords, strings , piano and I also use it for keyboard solos dependent on the tracks i’m working on.
3. Digital Performer 9 I use this to print tracks, for editing, automation and mix down arrangement.
4. Universal Audio Apollo Twin is an interface which I use for sometimes live instruments and vocal recording. I can track and monitor in real time and also use processing plugins such as compression and EQing.
5.Dynaudio Powered Monitors MK2. I use these for track playback, mix down and premastering .
6. Softube Console 1. This is a USB hardware controller for DAW unit. I also use it for plugin insert on every track on the computer mixing board such as EQ, compressor , sound shaping and UAD plugins such as SSL 9000. It is insane, I love it.
7. Tascam 25-24 mix board. This is my favourite signature old school unit which I’ve been using since the 90s and can’t part with it because it has such a warm sound that gives me that dirt in my kick drums , shaker, hand clap or whatever I use.
8. For my hardware gear i utilze my Rackmount gear Yamaha MOTIF at times for obscure sounds and keyboard layers. I use my KORG Trition for Pianos, effects and drums. The PROTEUS 2000 I love and use for the killer Organ sounds it has and the Proteus Mophatt is my best module for my quirky raw bass sounds.
9. And for those who don’t know I play live bass guitar every now and then is my third best instrument .
10. Finally the Yamaha CS6X Keyboard is used for soulful house and tech house drums and synths. I used it on Objektivity ep , and Dogmatik body n deep EP. I also it on the title track ‘Body n Deep’ from the Peak Hour EP on my new label ‘BODY N DEEP’.
For more on Jovonn Check:
Tags: body n deep, Deep House, Jovonn, studio equipment, timeless